If It’s Hip, It’s Here pride ourselves on having the largest and most up-to-date database of cool Coloring Books for Grown-Ups on Pinterest with over 500. But that’s soooo 2017. Now it’s Paper Dolls for Adults that are the hottest new activity.
Paper Dolls for Adults
Once for little chubby fingers with safety scissors, the Paper Doll has grown up. Into Drag Queens, Goth Girls, Politicians and even Ryan Gosling. Yes, sigh…The Gos. Between the large publishing houses and independent publishers, there are more types of paper dolls than you can imagine. Technological advances in printing brought us sticker dolls and magnetic dress-up dolls, but for the purposes of this post, I am not including those, but instead focusing on the good ol’ fashioned paper craft.
It’s hard to beat illustrator Kyle Hilton when it comes to hip Paper Dolls. He is one of the most prolific. His pop culture paper dolls of TV and movie characters for NY Magazine’s Vulture from 2010-2015 are fabulous. But those have to be printed out.
Below are just a few examples of Kyle’s great work:
However, his Literary and Artist History Paper Dolls have been published. Each features 16 characters and fashions. Once available in hardcover, they are now for sale in paperback versions. They are really terrific.
When it comes to hip celebs, Mel Elliott has them covered with her Film, Music and Fashion Pop Icon paper dolls. From Simon & Garfunkel to Beyoncé.
• Buy The Avant Garde Fashions Paper Doll book here
• Buy David Wolfe’s Red Carpet Fashions Paper Doll Book here
• Buy the Lisa Frank Paper Dolls Book here
• Buy The History of Denim Paper Doll Book here
• Buy The Thrift Store Diva Paper Doll Book here
• Buy Fashion illustrator Jim Howard’s Couture Paper Doll Books here
Why stop at fashions for people? Party Animals are Pony and Kitten paper dolls
The world of Paper Dolls is largely dominated by Dover Publications. With several divisions within their company (Presidential, Celebrity, Historical, etc) they stay atop of what’s going on – there’s even a new Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Paper Doll book that is already available for Pre-order).
Over the decades, Dover has employed a stable of talented artists for their paper doll books such as Tom Tierney, Ted Menten, Charlotte Whatley, David Wolfe, and Eileen Rudisill Miller whose styles are very recognizable and distinct from one another. These range from the Golden Era of Hollywood Actresses to Tattooed Paper Dolls.
• Shop David Wolfe Paper Dolls
• Shop Ted Menten Paper Dolls
• Shop Tom Tierney Paper Dolls
• Shop Charlotte Whatley Paper Dolls
• Dover artist Eileen Rudisill Miller also sells several of her Paper Dolls at her etsy store here
Part of the fun of Paper Dolls is the nostalgia as well as the randomness such as the examples shown below:
• Buy the Phyllis Diller paper Doll book here
• Buy the John Wayne Paper doll book here
• Buy the Nancy Drew and Friends Paper Doll book here
• Buy The Supreme Court Paper Dolls book here
• Buy the Carol Channing Paper Doll book here
• Buy The Chinatown Paper Dolls book here
There are so many that we’ve now got an enormous Paper Doll Pinterest Board with over 240.