Sea Arches is a stunning modern architectural masterpiece designed by Michael Leventhal and Robert Schlosser on the Mendocino coast. The 4 bedroom, 5 bathroom, 4,238 square foot house is listed on the market for $4,195,000, down from $4,395,000.
Sea Arches Residence In Mendocino
Sea Arches is perched atop a peninsular promontory rising 160 feet above the Pacific Ocean on northern California’s spectacular Mendocino coast. Surrounded by the ocean on 3 sides and presiding over unparalleled vistas of sea and surf, Sea Arches is approximately 21 acres with 11 acres of gently-sloping bluff top with the remainder consisting of dramatic bluff faces and some 1300 feet of pristine beaches.
This one-of-a-kind property also includes one of the famous Elk Sea Stacks, a grouping of remarkable ancient rock outcroppings that tower above the Pacific and add a powerful and dramatic element to the coastal scenery.
Integrated gracefully into its spectacular setting, Sea Arches is set back 500 feet from the Pacific Coast Hwy and is completely screened from public view by more than 400 Monterey cypress trees.
Approached by a winding, tree-lined drive, the main house & guesthouse include over 4,200 square feet of modern living space with four bedrooms, two mezzanines, two mini-lofts, & five full bathrooms. All rooms are spacious & the hallways are extra-wide.
Foyer and Great room:
Kitchen and Dining:
Upstairs office and library:
One of the guest bedrooms:
Guest House with loft:
A cantilevered, raised deck off the living-room mezzanine provides a stunningly close approach to the ocean. Walls of glass invite views of the enchanting scenery in every direction: north to the Elk Sea Stacks, south to Point Arena and its historic lighthouse, west beyond the property’s captive sea stack to the horizon, and east to lofty wooded mountains.
All of these vistas are enjoyed from Sea Arches & from the property’s mile-long groomed trails that extend along 2000 feet of oceanfront bluff tops overlooking the beautiful beaches on the north and south side of the home.
While completely private and secluded, Sea Arches is just a two-minute drive from the charming village of Elk offering quaint and cozy restaurants and inns. A scenic seventeen-mile coastal drive north will bring you to the picturesque & historic seaside village of Mendocino which attracts tourists from near and far. One can also find many world-class wineries in nearby Anderson Valley. All of this just a three-hour drive from San Francisco or if you choose to fly, Little River Airport, with its mile-long runway, is only 16 miles north of Sea Arches.
Truly a special and unique California coastal estate, Sea Arches commands some of the most dramatic coastal views in the world, & offers superb design, construction, & high-end finishes throughout, along with unparalleled beauty, tranquility, and privacy. Sea Arches is truly a special Mendocino coastal home.
Sq. Ft.: 4,238
Located at 7000 South Hwy 1, Elk, CA 95432
Sea Arches Mendocino Highlights:
• Idyllically situated on a one-of-a-kind twenty one-acre oceanfront parcel
• Dwelling is completely screened from public view by over 400 trees
• Includes 2,000 feet of ocean frontage plus over 1,300 feet of beaches
• Includes one of the famous Elk Sea Stacks connected to the property by an isthmus
• Main house plus private guest house totaling over 4200 sq ft of superb living space
• 4 bedrooms & 5 full bathrooms
• Separate His and Hers master baths
• Open floor plan featuring Single Level Living (with the exception of mezzanines and lofts)
• Spacious common rooms with extra wide hallways
• Ample opportunities throughout the home for displaying art
• Radiant heated slate floors throughout
• Soaring 18 foot high ceilings in main living room with walls of glass
• Cantilevered viewing deck off the mezzanine for up close ocean views
• Gourmet kitchen with top of the line stainless appliances, custom cabinetry and granite counter tops
• Granite window sills throughout the home
• Spacious guest house including a living room, wet bar, large bedroom, an office/second bedroom, two spacious baths, sleeping loft and two mini lofts
• Spectacular ocean and sunset views from most every room in the house
• Gracious winding driveway offering ample parking
• Large 2 car-garage with workshop
• Extensive low-maintenance landscaping offering a profusion of Spring and Summer blooms
• Approximately 1 mile of groomed trails
• Equipped with a generator
• Copper roof
• Anchored in bedrock by 42 reinforced concrete piers and framed with steel girders
• Designed by renowned architects Michael Leventhal and Robert Schlosser
Please contact Thomas Henthorne to schedule a private showing of this beautiful Mendocino coastal home for sale.
Initially Presented at $4,395,000, now priced at $4,195,000 (subject to change)
Photos: Matt McCourtney/McCourtney Photo