The Residential Church XL
Originally built in 1870, the Utrecht Old Catholic Parish had ordered the construction of a church and vicarage. Architect Gerard Gerritsen ‘finished the job’ in a little more than seven months, for the sum of 25,481 florins.
The church tower at the front was unfortunately too heavy for the foundation and had to be demolished in 1889. The Saint Jakobus was a soberly decorated church, being the only church built in Utrecht in the so-called ‘plasterers’ gothic style.
Inside, the stained glass windows date back to 1911:
The original nave (14 meters high) is impressive, but the balanced design of the inner space ensures that a human dimension is not ignored.
The atmosphere, created by both the furniture and styling, is the work of Thomas Haukes from (springers) wonen. The result complements the strong design of the architecture, creating an extremely original, modern and streamlined living space.
The clear plainness that the Saint Jakobus exuded at the time of architect Gerard Gerritsen still gives power today to this monumental building.
The current owners were very careful in the renovation and refurbishment. The renowned Utrecht-based firm of ZECC Architects undertook the transformation from church to home with a great attention to light, space and functionality.
Unfurnished upper level:
The former Saint Jakobus Church is of historic and architectural significance due to its location and relationship with the surroundings. The church is also registered as municipal monument.
Good restaurants, cafes and terraces full of atmosphere but the city will not disappoint you in its cultural side: it offers various museums, theaters and concert halls.
Most attractions and nightlife spots are within walking distance.
Some specs and details of the home for you:
• Parcel (own ground) 670 m2
• Living area 475 m2
• Front garden 90 m2
• Back garden 150 m2
HOUSE – GENERAL
• Living kitchen
• Elevated living room floor
• Hobby room/study
• Sleeping room/bathroom (incl. toilet)
• Guestroom/ bathroom (incl. toilet)
• Guest toilet
• BULTHAUP cooking island (3.60 m x 1.20 m)
• 5-burner induction cooker
• 2 pantries
• Remotely-controlled sophisticated lighting program.
• The Church is registered as municipal monument
• (newly implemented) architectural elements built under warranty
• Isolated crawlspace
• No previously existing cemetery
• Full exterior painting done
• Owners are members of Monumentenwacht
• Municipal subsidy confirmed for long-term external maintenance
• Internal elevator
• Electronically operated railing in front garden
• Alarm installation
• Additional sleeping room(s)
FOR SALE: BEMUURDE WEERD OOSTZIJDE 56 UTRECHT
The renovated church is for sale right now, if you are interested, please contact THOMAS HAUKES +31 (0)6 53 67 19 14 | info@wonkerk xl.com