This award winning rechargeable time piece was initially designed by Gusztav Szikszai two years ago, sparking a lot of interest, with many people in various forums asking how they could get hold of one.
The Ring Clock
Since that time Gusztav and his team fine-tuned the design and technology so that they could deliver the product to market. Funding the project via indiegogo, they received $388,278 USD, exceeding their hoped for goal of $287,500.
Pre-ordered rings cost $235 each and are said to ship March of 2015. After which time the retail price will be $250 per ring + shipping. (all prices subject to change)
The product idea started with a challenge 2 years ago at CGSociety.org named Moving Innovation. The idea was to create a product that cannot exist today, but could exist 10 years in the future. Gusztav wanted to create something innovative, good to look at and actually useful.
He says “I never wore a watch on my wrist because I don’t like the feeling, but I like watches in general, so I used that opportunity to let my mind come up with something that I could wear, the Ring Clock.”
The hours, minutes and seconds are on the same outer ring. The inner ring is the one that is in contact with your finger. The outer ring rotation activates the LED’s and you can see the time around the ring. Sometimes you see the hours and minutes close to each other (e.g. 13:30) and sometimes you will have to rotate more, because the hour and minute are far away from each other (e.g. 13:55).
• The Materials: Stainless steel is used for jewellery and watches with 316L being the type commonly used for such applications. It is allergy free and will not oxidize or turn black.
• LED Lights: An LED lamp is a solid-state lamp that uses light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the source of light. LED lamps offer long service life and high energy efficiency.
• Wireless charging: Qi is an interface standard developed by the Wireless Power Consortium for inductive electrical power transfer over distances of up to 4 cm.
• Rotate 360°: Whenever you need to know the time just spin the ring and you will see the accurate time.
• Water-resistant: Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing. (WR/30M)
• Energy saving: Automatic turn off after 1 minute. Their next task is to allow the rotation kinetic energy to give the power to the LED lights meaning that the next version of Ring Clock can be fully environmentally friendly.
Battery lifetime: 3 years (battery replacement service – only in factory)
Battery specs: 8mAh, ultrathin rechargeable lithium polymer battery
Lighting time: 15sec after the rotation (5s with low battery)
Light source: 168 energy safe ultrathin mono-color LED
Light color: Blue or Orange LED
Water Resistance: 30M (tested also for showering, bathing, swimming, fishing)
Charger: Wireless charger pad (with universal 110-240 AC DC USB plug)
Time setting: by the setting buttons on the charger pad
Ring body material: 316L surgical stainless steel
Warranty: 1 year
Running time: 350 times activation (2-5 days)
Charging time: 2-3 hours.
Width: 14 mm (0.551 in)
Thickness: 3-3.5 mm (0.118-0.134 in)
Inside diameter: 16,9-23,8mm (0.666-0.938 in)
US ring sizes: 6,5US-15US
The Ring Clock is available in 18 different sizes and 10 versions:
Native: Silver/Blue, Silver/Orange, Black PVD/Red, Gold PVD/White
Freedom: Silver/Blue, Rose Gold PVD/White (New)
Panda: Silver/Blue, Rose Gold PVD/White (New)
Minimal: Silver/Blue, Rose Gold PVD/White (New)