The upcoming Transformation Special Edition Issue featuring Lady Gaga from Paper Magazine is a feast for the eyes. Turning the popular Pop Star into a half-human/half-android via photography, digital effects and motion design, the cover article focuses on the release of her upcoming album Chromatica and the accompanying visuals are nothing short of spectacular.
Lady Gaga Transformation Issue Paper Magazine
Working with VFX, and motion design studio Mathematic, photographer Frederik Heyman, Paper Magazine Creative Director Nicola Formichetti and a slew of talented others, have transformed the singer via a multi-media cover shoot for their Transformation Special Edition Issue Featuring Lady Gaga, due out April 10th.
For the editorial, Lady Gaga: Life on Chromatica, Belgian artist Frederik Heyman used a full 3D body scan of the Pop Star and various digitally constructed environments.
When Heyman describes his plan to depict the pop star as a contrasting half-human / half-android figure, Gaga, ever the artist in control of her nuanced brand and vision, quickly challenges the intent behind this idea. “I don’t like futurism for the sake of it,” she respectfully asserts more than once. Gaga is also fixated on a much deeper truth at the heart of Chromatica’s ethos. “A robot puts me above people,” she muses. “Do you think a robot me is better than a human me?”
The Transformation Issue
Pre-Order the Transformation Issue here
The Special Edition Transformation Issue
• Photography and Imagery – Frederik Heyman // @frederikheyman
• Creative Direction – Nicola Formichetti // @NicolaFormichetti
• Styling – Tom Eerebout & sandra amador // @tomeerebout & @sandraamador.xx
• Hair @fredericaspiras
• Make up @sarahtannomakeup
• Nails @mihonails
• CG, 3D & Post Production – Frederik Heyman & Mathematic // @Mathematic.tv
• 3D Scanning Studio – Human Engine LA // @humanengine3d
• Line Producer for Frederik Heyman – Roxane Lemaire // @bouncerox