While it’s hard to top The HotTug when it comes to outdoor water activities, the Shoal Tent comes close. We first saw the floating camping gear while watching CNBC’s The Profit (we heart Marcus Lemonis). Made by Ohio-based fishing gear company SmithFly, the Shoal Tent is a waterproof outdoor tent anchored on an inflatable floating raft, allowing multiple adults to sleep out on the water.
The Floating Shoal Tent
A floating tent? Isn’t that unsafe? If you’re picturing yourself bobbing around the middle of the ocean, surrounded by sharks, you need to shift your paradigm. You obviously don’t want to get thrown about in your sleep, tossed into the icy cold choppy waters of the Pacific or suddenly find yourself going down white water rapids during REM sleep. That’s why the Shoal Tent is designed for lagoons, ponds, small or man-made lakes, creeks, or river beds.
The product is not cheap, but it’s certainly more affordable than a houseboat or a cabin by the lake. Priced at just under $2000, less expensive copies, like this one by DAMA, are popping up. With an 8′ x 8′ footprint, the interior can comfortably accommodate people up to 6′-3″ tall, standing up or laying down.
There are no tent poles, the tent structure is totally inflatable and when inflated stands up to high winds. The raft body has three air chambers, two in the lower tube, one in the structure. The floor is a 6″ thick drop stitched high-pressure floor that doubles as your air mattress.
• The tent’s fabric is waterproof, heavy-duty and sealed with durable industrial #8 zippers.
• The tent topper’s sides attach and detach using heavy-duty hooks and loops. This allows you to use just the top and get in and out easily through the sides, should the need arise suddenly.
• D-Rings on the sides allow for easy anchor attachment.
• The tubes inflate to 3 PSI the drop stitched floor inflates to 10 PSI.
Prior to inflation, the tent comes rolled-up like a burrito in a storage bag measuring approximately 60″x24″x18″ and weighs about 130 lbs.
Please note that due to the product’s popularity, the current lead time for Shoal Tent orders is 6 weeks from the day the order is placed unless otherwise noted. Smithfly says they hope to have them in stock and ready to ship shortly thereafter.
• 8’x8′ footprint.
• interior fits heights up to 6′-3″ tall laying down. Taller than that you can rest your head on the tubes or sleep diagonally.
• Standing room: up to 6′-3″
• Shoal Tent packs down into a burrito roll style carry and storage bag approx. 60″x24″x18″.
• Kit comes with Storage bag, patch kit, and manual foot pump.
• Weight of tent is approx. 130 pounds. Product is imported.
Buy the Shoal Tent from Smithfly here.