This little DIY gadget is gonna make a lot of home crafters very happy. The Cubiio Compact Portable Laser Engraver can now burn images into wood, leather, food and more as well as cut felt, paper and other materials with this handy tool that fits in your hand.
Cubiio Compact Portable Laser Engraver
Laser engraving comes in handy for everyone from artists, designers and crafters to bakers. It’s an art form that does use a laser, so you have to be smart and safe when using it. In other words, don’t point it at the cat or use it without protective goggles.
Cubiio is ready to use straight out of the box.
It’s not super fast, but it can make so many or embellish things. Below are just a few examples.
How Does It Work?
Cubiio is an aluminum-alloy cube smaller than a baseball and lighter than an iPhone 7 Plus. It consists of a semiconductor laser source and two current-driven mirrors in order to deflect the laser beam along X and Y axes. The embedded CPU translates your sketches into digital commands to tilt mirrors particularly. Then the focused laser spot will be projected to the target surface along the designed trajectory.
The makers of Cubiio have developed a special algorithm to compensate distortion successfully. This allows them to make Cubiio portable and affordable. The details of virtual lens algorithm are confidential as they await the patent.
Cubiio requires no assembly. It’s controlled wirelessly by the Cubiio App wirelessly. which you simply download from Apple Store or Google Play.
Engraving is done in 4 easy steps:
1. Choose a picture / G-Code file or write something in Cubiio App.
2. Place the item you want to engrave in front of Cubiio.
3. Preview (this allows you to easily adjust the size, position, and the rotation angle) and align.
4. Press START and enjoy.
• Eye Protection: Goggles are included in every Cubiio package. Always wear goggles while Cubiio is working. Do not look at the laser radiation even with the goggles.
• Password Lock: Password is required before operating every time. Only authorized persons are allowed to use Cubiio.
• Lasering Indication: A bright LED indicates when the laser is energized and operating.
• Motion Detection: A sensitive 3-axis accelerometer is equipped. While accidental movement happens during operating, Cubiio will shut down immediately.
• Overheat Shutdown: Cubiio should work in the environment with sufficient heat dissipation. If the inner temperature approaches to the damaging threshold, Cubiio turns itself off.
• CubiioShield: Safety is priceless. We offer upgraded protection for users who have higher safety standard.
Weight: 150 gram
Laser Source: OSRAM semiconductor blue color laser
Lifetime Estimation 10000 hours
Laser Output: 100 level adjustable
max 800 mW with CubiioShield; max 500 mW w/o CubiioShield
Routing Speed: 2000 mm/min maximum
Resolution: 152 – 254 dpi adjustable
Finishing: anodized aluminum
Color Option: red, black, dark bronze, gold, and blue
Screw Mount: 1/4″-20 UNC for standard tripods
I/O: Micro SD card
Supported File Format: bmp and G-Code
App Connection: BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)
App OS: iOS 10+ / Android 4.4+
Power Input: micro USB DC 5V, 2A
Power bank (5V, 2A) supported, but not included
Since this original post the product has been updated and they have released a Cubiio 2 for that also engraves metal.
The Cubiio Compact Portable Laser Engraver is available for $699 USD and can be purchased here