After years of sucking up my hair with their vacuums, now they’ve provided something for me to dry it with as well. The Dyson Supersonic is a high-tech hair dyer that took more than four years in development, $71 million invested in hair research, 600 prototypes and the combined work of 103 engineers.
The Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
Dyson introduces their first beauty product: The Dyson Supersonic, a $400 Hair Dryer. So what makes a blow dryer worth almost half thousand dollars?
Technology. Technology. Technology. And Design.
First off, it’s not designed for merely drying hair. It’s also designed for styling hair. The Supersonic claims to have addressed all the things we hate about blow-drying our hair: The speed, the heat control, the weight on your arm, the noise and the air control.
The Supersonic hair dryer is controlled by a clever microprocessor that quickly calculates instructions and adjusts the double-stack heating element. With the Glass bead thermistor, the exit temperature is measured 20 times every second reporting straight to the microprocessor. This intelligent heat control maintains the optimum temperature, helping to prevent extreme heat damage. Less damaged hair reflects light in a single direction, making the hair appear shiny.
It’s powered by the Dyson digital motor V9 which spins at up to 110,000 times a minute, with one inaudible frequency. The Dyson digital motor V9 propels 13 liters of air per second, but it’s no wider than 1.06 in, allowing for a less bulky design.
A summation of the features
•ULTRA FAST DRYING – ultra fast drying you need controlled, high-velocity airflow
• AIR MULTIPLIER™ TECHNOLOGY – A high-pressure, high-velocity jet of air exits the amplifier, tripling airflow.
• INTELLIGENT HEAT CONTROL – Air temperature is measured 20 times every second, keeping the temperature under control. You can dry without the risk of extreme heat damage.
• ENGINEERED FOR BALANCE – They’ve turned convention on its head and put the motor in the handle, completely rebalancing the dryer’s weight and shape for less arm ache.
• VIBRATION REDUCTION MOUNT – A rubber mount helps to prevent the motor from vibrating against the inside of the handle, reducing the transfer of noise between the motor and the case.
• SMOOTHING NOZZLE – The Dyson Smoothing nozzle dries hair gently using smooth, wide air
• STYLING CONCENTRATOR – With the Dyson Styling concentrator, you can shape your hair one section at a time – without worrying about disturbing the rest.
• DIFFUSER – The Dyson diffuser disperses air evenly around your curls, helping to reduce frizz and improve definition.
• EASY TO CLEAN – Simply twist and release to clean the filter
3 precise speed settings:
Fast drying, Regular drying and Gentle drying
4 precise heat settings:
• 212°F Fast drying and styling
• 176°F Regular drying
• 140°F Gentle drying
• Constant cold
It also has a nice long cord, a 9 ft salon-length cable and comes in a limited edition leather case designed by James Dyson himself.
In the Box:
Smoothing nozzle, Styling concentrator, Diffuser, Non-slip mat, Storage hanger
All consumer hair dryers come with a two year parts and labor warranty.
If you think this all adds up to a hair dryer worth $399, pre-order the Dyson Supersonic here. It’s expected to ship in September of 2016.
all images and information courtesy of Dyson